Sunday, April 11, 2010

Professional Philosophy

     Over the past ten years, I have gained valuable experience from the California State University and California Community College systems.  This includes counseling/advising, recruiting/outreach, teaching/instructing, managing/leading, and learning hands on from a variety of coursework.  From these experiences, I have acquired an increased awareness of the value education has on our surrounding community, and the challenges many students face in pursuit of an education.  Being a first-generation college student myself, I have realized that proper support and information from faculty, student affair professionals and staff, is critical to academic success.  I have come to understand that students value academic assistance from competent counselors, knowledgeable teachers and caring administrators.  Inevitably, students need proper facilitation in order to grow and develop successfully within the educational system.
     My plan/goal is three-fold; first, to reach out and educate diverse student and community populations by providing them with sound educational opportunities and options, second, to inform them about services available to them, making sure appropriate assistance is provided when needed, and third, to support them in educational decisions they make, seeing that students are respected and challenged to perform to their full potential.  Ultimately, utilizing my skills in conjunction with my adaptive learning ability to effectively assist students in their educational quests.
     All in all, I would like to continue my fervent commitment of promoting education and fostering student development and growth in college.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my Pedagogy Post, I was shocked to get a comment on this because I had made this blog site for my English class last semester and my Professor was the only one to ever comment on it. I haven't really paid much attention to it since. I'm not sure if the review was exactly what you were looking for but I hope it helped. I will definitely be reading your review of the book. Hope you enjoy the read. Also, I strongly agree with your philosophy about teaching in diverse areas, and areas of low income. I am doing something very similar here in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete